Dear Friends of Axis of Logic and Haiti,
On May 25, 2010 we sent our first newsletter with an appeal for donations to purchase clean drinking water in Venezuela for shipment to the people of Haiti. One of the many unrelenting problems Haitians have been facing since the earthquake that struck on January 12, 2010 is their lack of potable water. The Axis of Logic Foundation has organized a project for sending clean drinking water at a very low cost to Haiti from Venezuela. Read more details below about the water need and solutions for Haiti and the measures we are taking for accountability. As of today, October 13, we have collected $2,000 of the $4,000 needed for this shipment.
Recently, one of our readers, originally from Haiti, has pledged to match new accumulated donations for up to $1,000. With this generous pledge, we will be able to double the next $1,000 received in accumulated donations and meet our final goal of $4,000. Please know that your donation will be doubled with this generous pledge, enabling us to ship this water to the people who need it most in Haiti.
Our readers number in the millions worldwide and no contribution is too small. We thank everyone who has already contributed to this worthy project. You can contribute to “Agua for Haiti” in any of the following 3 ways:
PayPal: The simplest way is to go to our PayPal link on the Axis of Logic website, click on Agua for Haiti, type in “Haiti” in the description box, enter the amount and follow PayPal instructions. If you have never before sent money using PayPal it’s very simple and secure, sending your donation either from your credit card or bank account. When making these payments, PayPal never reveals either your credit card or bank account number.
Check and Mail: Alternatively, if you prefer, you can send a check to:
Axis of Logic
c/o Peter Dougal, CPA
25 Sunset Road
Somerville, MA 02144
Please make the check out to Axis of Logic and note “Agua for Haiti” at the bottom of the check.
Bank to Bank Transfer: The third option available for donations is to transfer funds directly from your bank to the following Axis of Logic bank account in Boston.
Account Name: Axis of Logic
Account No. 0410028013
Routing No. 011002877
Please keep in mind that if you make a bank-to-bank transfer there will be a transfer fee. In this case, it’s best to ask your bank about the cost of a transfer.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me personally at email@example.com. We would also appreciate a brief e-mail message from you, identifying yourself and telling us how much you contributed. I will reply by email or call you if you include your telephone number and include your country’s code.
On behalf of the people of Haiti, The Axis of Logic Foundation and the Axis of Logic Editorial Board, thank you very much for your donation.
More information on this project:
Haiti’s need for potable water
Haiti’s coverage levels in urban and rural areas are the lowest in the hemisphere for both water supply and sanitation. Sewer systems and wastewater treatment are nonexistent. Coverage figures do not give an indication of service quality, which is generally quite poor. In rural areas, systems have often fallen into disrepair. They either do not provide any water service at all or provide service only to those close to the source, with those at the end of the system (“tail-enders”) remaining without water. In almost all urban areas water supply is intermittent.
Using the broadest definition of accessible water from all sources, only 52% of urban populations and 54% of rural populations have access to water. Only 24% of those living in urban areas and only 11% have house connections to water.
Making water accessible to all
There is no doubt that well-drilling, water purification plants and a desalination plant are the best long-term solutions for the country. But until these utilities are in place, Haitians are in desperate need of bottled, potable water that can be distributed to people who have little or no access in unsupplied areas. The objective of Axis of Logic’s Agua for Haiti program is send containers of bottled water that can be delivered to Haiti from Venezuela. One of the advantages of this project involves the cost of transportation. The Venezuelan government will transport the water we purchase to Haiti free of charge. We have negotiated the lowest possible cost of bottled water from the Lider Water Company in Maracay.
Please let us list some reasons why we are asking you to contribute to this worthy project.
1. Haiti’s need for potable water is critical. Part of the need for water is being met by wonderful organizations like Oxfam but there is a growing deficit for clean drinking water in Haiti. As the rainy season begins, existing water will become even more contaminated by flood waters due to the earthquake-collapse of Haiti’s infrastructure and sewage systems. Collecting rainwater in Haiti increases the risk of mosquito-borne diseases such as dengue and malaria. At least until Haiti’s infrastructure and storm sewer system has been rebuilt Haitians are in desperate need of drinking water.
2. Venezuela has been at the forefront of aid to Haiti from the first day after the earthquake. Thousands of medical teams and other relief workers have been living in tents with the Haitian people and providing practical care on a daily basis – with no strings attached. The Venezuelan government has forgiven Haitain petroleum debt. Thanks to the Venezuelan Government, the water we are shipping to Haiti involves no transportation or other intermediary costs. We are able to keep our administrative costs (establishing the Fundación, negotiating prices, organizing transportation, travel, and fundraising) at a bare minimum.
3. This “foreign aid” involves no exhorbitant administrative costs and “no strings attached.” This differs from the practices of some international relief organizations. Your donation goes directly to a bottle of water in the hands of a mother, father or child in Haiti.
4. The water you purchase will come from the Lider Water Company in Maracay, Venezuela. We were able to negotiate the lowest price for the highest quality drinking water available. We pay only 46% of the retail price in Venezuela. We plan to follow the first transportation of the water and photograph the process as a supplement to our next appeal to the general public – our millions of Axis of Logic readers.
5. To the extent possible, we will provide photos and reports of the water delivery to Haiti. These weekly progress reports will be displayed prominently on the front page of Axis of Logic. We will provide to the public a detailed accounting for monies contributed and spent in this endeavor.
With these things in mind, we are asking you to join us and do your best to help buy good water in significant quantities, at the lowest possible price, with absolute confidence that together, we will achieve our goal – Agua for Haiti.
Please note that we have been receiving donations and paying bills via PayPal for 6 years and have never encountered a single problem. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me personally at les [at] axisoflogic.com. I will reply by email or call you if you include your telephone number and include your country’s code. On behalf of the people of Haiti and the Axis of Logic Editorial Board, thank you very much for your contribution.
Les Blough, President
Board of Directors
Axis of Logic Foundation
Axis of Logic Editorial Board
Project “Agua for Haiti”
Boston, Toronto and Caracas