Tag Archives: qatar

War Crimes in Libya – The Smoking Guns

By Michael Collins

“The UN said in its resolution that they wanted to protect civilians. I am a civilian. I’m asking the United Nations and the National Transition Council for help for the citizens of Sirte.” ~ Ali Salah Arzaga, Sirte, Libya. (His home and business were destroyed in the final assault on his city.)

There are very public smoking guns that inculpate the rulers of the United States, the United Kingdom, France and others in war crimes in Libya.

The rationale for NATO’s entry into the Libyan conflict was based on humanitarian principles, correctly noted by Mr. Arzaga. (left, text and image: VOA video). The United Nations Security Council passed resolution 1973 on March 17 and NATO followed up with actions that the alliance and its partner Qatar claimed conformed to the resolution. The sole purpose of NATO’s involvement was to “protect the Libyan population,” we were told.

The outcome has been anything but humanitarian. Tens of thousands of Libyans are injured or dead. The nation’s infrastructure is in tatters. One city, Sirte, was destroyed during the final push while another city, the non-Arab Black Libyan town of Tawergha, is absent its entire population, 25,000 residents. They were there just a few weeks ago.

Continue reading

EU used Libya’s frozen funds to finance NATO invasion

By The Voice of the Cape
31 August 2010 (last modified 20 June 2011)

Europe’s foreign ministers Monday urged the use of frozen funds to finance Libya’s opposition, which has complained of a cash shortfall after failing to receive aid pledged by international donors. In a statement on Libya, the 27 European Union ministers said the bloc “acknowledges the urgent financial needs of the (opposition) Transitional National Council”. They also welcomed specific cash contributions by Italy and France, which is releasing frozen funds to the rebels.

Extra global aid to the Benghazi-based opposition “where possible” could include “the use of frozen Libyan funds”, the ministers said. “Measures in this regard will respect the rule of law,” the statement added. Libyan rebel forces said Sunday they were running out of money and had not yet received any of the roughly one billion dollars promised by international donors earlier this month.

Continue reading